The Educational Authority (Oktatási Hivatal - OH) is a Government Agency operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Human Capacities. The Authority has a wide range of responsibilities for public and higher education. The scope of its authority and function is determined in the Government Decree No.: 121/2013. (IV.26).
In the field of public education the Educational Authority is responsible for:
- development, preparation and organisation of secondary school leaving examination,
- coordinating the admission procedure of secondary schools,
- development, operation and management of the national evaluation, assessment and monitoring system of public education and its pupils; and publishing reports on implementation and overall results,
- coordinating professional supervision of public education institutions and participating in legal control and administrative inspection procedures,
- managing and administering the Information and Statistical System of Public Education,
- accreditation of framework curricula that serve as the basis for school level educational programs,
- accreditation and licensing of school books,
- accreditation of in-service teacher training programs,
- ensuring the production of school certificates,
- organisation of national academic competitions for schools,
- granting permission for launching vocational training courses outside the formal education system.
In the field of higher education the Authority is responsible for:
- development and management of the higher education admission system,
- registering higher education institutions, licensing BA and MA programs,
- taking part in administrative and legal inspection procedures of the higher education system,
- managing and administering the National Higher Education Information System,
- ensuring the production of diplomas and certificates.
The Authority is also involved in the discussion of and negotiations on higher education issues and the mutual recognition of diplomas and qualifications at international level. Diplomas issued by foreign universities and colleges are recognised and foreign language certificates are nationalised here. The Authority is in charge of organising the printing of state recognised language certificates and handling language exam complaints. At the same time, those who are leaving Hungary may wish to have the assistance of the Authority in foreign recognition matters. Furthermore, the Authority accredits foreign language examinations and grants licences for the operation of foreign language examination centres.
In addition, the Educational Authority is the beneficiary of several high priority projects funded by the European Social Fund and runs large scale projects in public and higher education in the period of 2010-2015.
The Educational Authority is bearing the operational responsibility of EQF National Coordination Point. The National Coordination Point is entitled have laid down the foundations for a transparent and reliable referencing methodology and have managed the referencing process.
Main activities of the NCP:
- tangibly contribute to the successful accomplishment of the EQF-NQF process in Hungary;
- the coordination of the three subsectoral project developing the Hungarian National Qualifications Framework;
- the dissemination of knowledge on the EQF and the recent developments of the Hungarian NQF among public at large and particularly among economic and social partners;
- the involvement of the civil society in the discussions about the NQF raising their awareness on their relevant specific role and responsibilities;
- through the involvement of experts, promote the exchange of good practices regarding the referencing and to give an impetus to the launching of the referencing process;
- preparing for the maintenance and institutionalisation of the Hungarian Qualifications Framework.
The Educational Authority
Address: Zalay Utca 10-14, 1055 Budapest, Hungary
Phone number: (+36) 13742100
Web site: www.oktatas.hu